Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Just imagine


I'm sure Municipal stadium was demolished with good reason in 1976 and was no longer needed after the Truman Sports Complex was completed. It had probaly turned into a huge dump. But just think if they had used that money to refurbish Municipal....
It was the typical old-style ballpark , with quirky dimensions and many crazy stories from goats trimming the grass just past the right field wall to the speedy construction of the upper deck, it would be one of those ballparks that people would go to just experience its history. Of course the neighborhood (22nd and Brooklyn) is not the greatest now, but who's to say what it would have been like if baseball was happening there during the summer. Its close to Prospect Ave., the most notorious part of KC, but what if...what if...


I like Kauffman Stadium, but I can not help but wonder how neat it would be to have a truly historic place reminiscent of Fenway or Wrigley.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw my first major league baseball game there of the Kansas City A's during the summer of 1967, and it was not a good neighborhood then. Very few parking lots, and neighbors sold places in their front and back yards for parking. That was back when baseball was the #1 sport and the stadium was usually packed. We went to all the weekend home games that summer and I loved it. Don't ask who 'we' is---that was my life back in my single years!

Hawkrew said...

If they had developed the area, it could have been cool.