Monday, April 21, 2008

Party pooper

Lawrence is always pretty friendly. Don't get me wrong, people aren't doffing caps at every stranger, but conversations happen in public and they are usually friendly. For the weeks since the national championship, this has been at an all-time high. Downtown has an extra bit of energy; not sure how to explain it, but its there. With the weather turning warm again and more people heading outside and are in noticeably good moods.

I watched a bit of the Lawrence Half Marathon on Sunday morning and the friendliness seemed to spill over there, too. The spectators would clap and encourage the racers and some (alot actually) even said thank you back at the crowds....no need folks, you're in the middle of running 13 miles. At one point, a John Deere Gator drove along with two fire-medics who were there in case a racer would need assistance. Pat and I cheered them on, "you can do it, push!" They got a kick out of it, people around us chuckled when one of them responded, "yeah I'm started to work up a sweat."



So hopefully I'm painted the picture: This town basking in good vibes. Got it?



Well, not the whole town. The owner of Milton's is not feeling the love. Don't go there, ask for a table for 8, have 6 people there and expect to be seated. Your entire group has to be there. Our group even got to the table (for breakfast after the H-marathon) and when he saw that we weren't all there, he told us that he had told us "3 times that everyone needed to be here in order to be seated." He asked where the other 2 people were. We told him that they (1 H-marathon volunteer and 1 5k runner) were a block away and he said he didn't care. He had no problem making making us feel like dirt. None of us had a problem with making a scene. Alot of "we're-not-dealing-with-this-lets-just-go-someplace-else" talk was going around. We immediately walked out, straight to Wheatfields. My omelette was delicious there and we were treated like paying customers instead of no-good bums.



I actually liked Milton's before this. Too bad none of us will ever go there again. If we do, we're getting a table for 30 (I don't think that is even possible in that little place) and just drinking water for an hour.

3 comments:

Hawkrew said...

"Doffing Caps"...me likey.

Too bad I wasn't there to see this, if only I wasn't a block away at the time. Honestly I would have been there quicker if I could have gotten around the half marathon runners.

That guy is a tool.

Rock Chalk.

The G's said...

Your dollar is your vote...a wise man told me that a long time ago. He is into doffing caps.

Anonymous said...

Well, from all the comments on Lawrence.com, the owner seems to be well known as a nasty, mean-spirited man. If the comments are true he treats many customers and his staff like dirt. Too bad. I liked eating there. But, Wheatfields has better bread, anyway.